The Kano State Anti-Corruption and Public Complaints Commission has announced new corruption charges and maladministration against an exGovernor Abdullahi Ganduje.

According to the commission’s chairman, Muhuyi Magaji, investigations uncovered the diversion of N51.3 billion from local government funds to unauthorized individuals during Ganduje’s tenure.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday, Magaji alleged that the Ganduje administration withdrew N1 billion monthly from state coffers before its tenure ended in May 2023, purportedly for road renovation, but diverted to Bureau de Change operators instead.

He also cited a case involving N4 billion transferred to an agricultural company from Kano’s consolidated revenue account.

What is happening now is a tip of the iceberg. As I am talking to you, we are investigating a case whereby N51.3bn local government funds were directly taken from the government coffers (and) sent to other individuals, and we traced it to people.

“We have filed a series of cases. We have a case whereby N1bn in April last year (2023) was removed from government coffers under the allocation of renovating 30 roads in the metropolis, and it was taken away and sent to Bureau de Change.

“We have a case of N4bn whereby it was sent from the consolidated revenue account of Kano State to an agricultural company. All these cases are before the court,”
 he said.

The state government has said it will arraign Ganduje, alongside his wife and son, for money laundering, later this week.